Tires and Wheels- Widths

DelTonius

Q: Tires and Wheels- specifically widths
Bought my Sport with 315/70 17’s (basically 35x12.5) on stock rims which are 7.5 wide. It was suggested I get some wider aftermarket wheels to get more “foot” on the ground for better wear, traction and handling, and suggested looking at at least 8-9.5” wide rims. A friend of mine says wheels should be no less than 2” narrower than the tire width, which would be a 10.5 wide rim for my tires. He’s more on the “street” car side of rules of thumb. Are there different guidelines for off road and street tire/wheel combos when it comes to widths? Is a 9” rim a good width with a 12.5” tire? Does 1 or 2 inches make that big of a difference? I like the tire size I have and don’t want to go smaller. Don’t want to go with a deep dish rim nor use spacers if I don’t have too. **I’m aware of offsets but will save that discussion for another day. LOL**
Hope my question makes sense. TIA
👊🏻😎☕️

leras454

The wheel sizes in the off-road world typically range from 16-18 inches, but you have to remember, the larger you go, the less durable they will be for the off-road. Although there are multiple sizes available for the Best Off Road Driving Trails in New Hampshire, one of the better options for your rig would be a 17-inch wheel with a 35-inch tire.

Last edited: